Monday, October 13, 2008

Chapter 6

This chapter discussed different syllabus types. After reading about each syllabus type, I immediately thought that an integrated syllabus would be the best approach to syllabus design. However, as I started to construct my reasons for choosing an integrated syllabus, I realized that an integrated syllabus might not be the best choice for all language classes.

The majority of my language teaching experience has been with young learners (6th grade and under) at beginning to intermediate language proficiency levels. Thus, my experience has helped me construct the belief that all domains of language are important in language instruction. In my mind, the best way to incorporate all of these things would be through an integrated syllabus design, one that stresses the importance of reading, writing, listening, and speaking. I believe this would be best achieved through incorporating: context, grammar, and opportunities to use the language, etc., because all these things are interconnected.

However, as I started to think about how proficiency levels and purposes for learning the language differ among students, I realized that it was too simplistic to say that an integrated syllabus would be the best choice for all language classes, and that it would be better to say that the type of syllabus used in language teaching should reflect the purpose of the language class and the proficiency levels of its learners. For example, if the focus of the language class is to improve the writing skills of businessmen with advanced language abilities, then perhaps grammar would be a key area of focus. Maybe, a focus on grammar would be just what the learners would need to become even more proficient in their language abilities.

No comments: