Monday, November 10, 2008

Sally's Powerpoint Paper

I enjoyed reading Sally's paper about powerpoint. I think Sally thought of some very exciting and innovative ways to incorporate powerpoint into her kindergarten classroom. The activity she created to teach her students the Yup'ik words for family members is a great way to get the students and their parents involved in the learning process. In addition, the powerpoint can be shared with families who have a computer at home and the students can work on it at home as well.

In her paper, Sally referred to several different drawbacks about powerpoint. One of the drawbacks she mentioned is the misconception many people have that powerpoint is a only a presentation tool. I agree that many people have this misconception, but I do not know why. I am wondering if the original intention of powerpoint (when it was first created) was to serve as a presentation tool? As new features were added to the powerpoint software were they simply incorporated into the already well-defined purpose of presentations, even though the features were added to increase its uses? Maybe, most people have not realized the full potential of the powerpoint software and the fact that it can be used to do many things in addition to helping give presentations.

After reading Sally's paper, I am thinking about creating a powerpoint to reinforce the vocabulary that my students must learn in social studies. Although I am not sure of the exact format, I would like it to be interactive and something that students want to do.

No comments: